The Triana CPCA, originally known as Triana Colored Cumberland Presbyterian Church, was the first Colored Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Madison County Alabama. The first place of worship was located at the corner of Seventh Street and D Street, currently known as Zierdt Road. The building on this property had the appearance of a house, and it was used as the first place of praise and worship to God. On the 28thday of September 1872, Edmund Toney donated this property to the following trustees of the church: Samuel Sandifer, Moses Ward, Isham Hundley, Joseph Smith, and Austin Ward. As a result, these trustees presented the property to the “colored” people of Triana.
The second church home for the Triana CPCA was located on property at the corner of Market Street, currently now as Stone Street, and Fifth Street. On the 9th day of October 1920, William Samuel Harris purchased the church building and property on behalf of the Triana CPCA. The cost of this purchase was nine hundred dollars. This purchase was in exchange for the church’s original property located at Seventh Street and D Street. The second church home was purchased from the trustees N.M. Rowe, and L.T. Hill of the Belle Mina Circuit Huntsville District North Alabama Conference Methodist Episcopal Church South Corporation. William S. Harris, Dan W. Beadle, Walter Harris and Charlie Williams were the trustees of Triana CPCA at the time of this purchase.
The third church home was built by 1972 under the leadership of Elder Sexton Toney. This church was erected on the same property of the second home church.
From 1991 to the present date, Elder James E. Childress serves as pastor of Triana CPCA. With a vision and plan from God, he knew that Christian education was very important. The church has evolved spiritually and physically through the years. Under his leadership, land was purchased; classrooms, conference rooms, indoor baptistry, and restrooms were built; central air/heat and kitchen upgrades were made to the third structure at Triana CPCA. Also, in November of 2005 the current sanctuary and the fellowship hall was completed and dedicated to God. We give all honor and praise to God for making this accomplishment possible. The church has been strengthened with the addition of the Brotherhood, Women’s Ministry, and the Audio/Video ministry that helps in assisting the spiritual growth of the church. The church is also involved in outreach ministries, such as, Annual Revival, Vacation Bible School, Youth Camps, CARES Incorporated, and hosting the Boys and Girls Club Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Breakfast. The church is currently active in organizations, such as, The Huntsville Presbytery, the Alabama Synod, and the General Assembly. As the church continues to change and grow, Elder James Childress reminds us that the ultimate mission of the church is to save those who are lost and lead souls to Christ.
“For we walk by faith and not by sight” (2 Corinthians 5:7)
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."